Thursday, April 24, 2008

Regarding Lois Lane

If you haven't already guessed from our "about" photo, Sarah and I will be playing the roles of Wonder Woman and Superman, respectively. (I suppose if we really wanted to be unconventional, I would don the red bustier and she would wear the cape, but that wedding would have a whole different set of implications that we won't go into.) Someone asked me just yesterday what happened to Lois Lane, and since it was a fair question, I thought I would answer it up front.

Lois is a strong, independent woman by human standards. She is career oriented, fearless, and stubborn. But compared to the Man of Steel, she's a Stepford Wife. No matter how self-assured she is, she has to know that she will always come up short in a comparison to the last son of Krypton. That's not a dynamic that I want to base my marriage on. As far as I know, Superman and Wonder Woman were never more than colleagues. But they are as close to being equals as a man and woman can be in comic world, and that's what I wanted for me and Sarah.

We each have our own strengths and weaknesses, and at any given moment, one or the other will have more success in current endeavors. But in our relationship, we are equals. Responsibility, decision making, and future planning are a 50-50 split. Both of us want the other to excel, and together we are stronger than either of us apart.

So I hope comic fans will forgive our disregard for the lovely Lois. She'll always have a place in our hearts, but not in our wedding album.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

For some reason I have in my head that Superman and Wonder Woman once "did it" back in the 70's. Or maybe it was something I dreamed up to satisfy my dual teenage crushes on Lynda Carter and Chris Reeve...except I didn't realize at the time that the Chris Reeve thing was a crush.